Startitis (Induced)

Hurricane Sandy rolled through the Northeast this week, and here at the farm, we were ready. While everyone else was out buying bread and milk, we were stocking up on firewood and aluminum foil (for cooking in the embers) and making sure we had enough chicken feed laid in. We battened down the barn for the poultry, changed batteries in lanterns and flashlights, and freshened up the water in the gallon jugs we always keep full. And last but not least, I printed out plenty of knitting patterns, of course!

What followed was a serious bout of induced startitis. I cast on a Hogswatch stocking for Kurt. I used the Falling Snow Stocking pattern by Jennifer Hoel, which is gorgeous and rustic and knits up in a flash, since it uses bulky yarn! For yarn I went with my trusty standby, Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky, in Wine and Bare. I planned to cast on and knit the first section as written, then re-chart the second section to depict the Hogfather and his sleigh pulled by wild boars by adapting some of Sandra Jäger‘s excellent charts. I wasn’t anticipating just how quickly this piece would go, so when I got to the point of needing to chart the Hogfather, I set it aside.

Next up was a pair of gloves for me. I normally opt for fingerless, but I think that’s going to be changing as I work outside more and more – my fingertips just get too cold. I lose more fine motor abilities to the cold than I do to something covering my fingertips, but cheap cotton or acrylic storebought gloves certainly won’t do! This pair is out of Knit Picks Stroll in Aurora Heather, and matches the hat I knit to wear around the barn and under my riding helmet. The pattern is Knotty Gloves by Julia Mueller. If you like gloves, you’ve got to check out her designs – they are just jaw-droppingly gorgeous!

It wasn’t only about casting on, though. I did finish up a Christmas gift, as well as my long-suffering Damson shawlette. This is a lovely, simple, well-written pattern from the incomparable Ysolda Teague, and I’m really ashamed of how I’ve treated it! I attempted it as a very new knitter, before I had any ability to read my knitting or fix mistakes without starting over. Through no fault of the pattern’s, that was a frustrating endeavor. I set it aside and restarted last June – that’s 2011, for you folks keeping track. Over a year ago! I got two rows from the edging cast-off and knew I’d run out of yarn before it was finished. I had more yarn, but, unable to face winding another ball, I simply buried it. So, faced with hours of hurricane knitting time, I dug up the last skein of yarn and wound it (much less painfully than it would have been a year ago, thanks to my new Strauch ball winder, which I love) so that I could finally cast off and declare victory! Perhaps I will find time to get a good photo to share with you at some point in the future, but for now, all that matters to me is that it is finished!

Advertisements

Chime in

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s